A few days ago, I was talking with Yazoo about Lua, and I realized it'd be cool to statically hash strings in order to export hashes of function names to Lua, and not plain names. Then we discussed about the feasibility to of this, and how there was already a few articles on the web talking about this, but I realized that with C++11, it should be possible to do something easier than most solutions presented, and I wanted to do some researches anyway.
So I set up into trying to achieve the goal of hashing strings at compilation time in C++, using C++11. I have to say I'm unimpressed by the results. That's going to be a pretty long read, but I've tried to describe all the steps I've taken in order to show exactly what I mean.